Did you know that when consumers are looking for a lawyer, many start their search online? According to Lawyernomics, 21.9 percent of prospective clients start by searching online. Just because you have a fancy website, does not mean that those prospective clients will find your site, let-alone click on it. If you want to harness those searchers and drive them to your site, you need SEO to convert them into clients.
Attorney SEO must-haves
The name of the game is to snag prospective clients first by being ranked higher on a search engine’s results page than your competition. While yes, some of the time it is out of your control where you are listed based on Google’s algorithms, it is still good to focus on SEO to help build your firms rankings.
The following are the perfect place to start optimizing your firm’s website:
- Focus on local keywords: The legal industry is a big field with a ton of competition. Therefore, focusing on local keywords and terms such as “Utah family law attorney” or “Utah business attorney,” will target your client base and make SEO more successful.
- Outreach: Having links to your site on other websites such as directories, blogs that will give endorsements, or profiles, will add credibility to your website and increase your SEO rankings. Also, look for opportunities to guest author articles on other legal websites and maintain a blog on your own website to attract quality links.
- Get reviews: According to a recent survey done by BrightLocal.com indicates that 88 percent of consumers trust and read online reviews to determine the quality of local businesses and/or attorneys (Anderson, 2014). The key places to get reviews for your firm are Google+, Facebook, Yelp, or City Search. Getting a “5 star review” on those sites will increase your SEO and credibility with Google or other search engines.
- Consistently publish content: Search engines prefer sites that continually publish new content. Publish this content on a consistent basis, but not all at once, take your time. A good place to start is a blog or to regularly refresh content on the pages of your website. But, do avoid repetitive content, as that can negatively affect your rankings.
- Use social media: Social networking is a good way to increase your audience and your brands awareness. Sign up for Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram. Once you have an account, make sure to fill out your profile in detail and link each page to your website. Post content that is relevant to your audience and your firm’s goals.
- Be Consistent: Make sure that your name, address and phone number are consistently listed on all accounts, websites or directories. Inconsistencies will be a negative for search engine rankings.
After all is said and done
Once you have SEO optimization practices in place, be sure to have a great website with good functionality and to also provide high quality service to your clients. Good service leads to word-of-mouth recommendations. Don’t forget to build trust by providing quality content and information to your potential clients. Lastly, be realistic and patient with your SEO campaign, it will take time to see the results that you want.
If your firm would like help with an SEO campaign, contact us today and we will get you started on your road to success!
Anderson, M. (2014, July 7). 88% Of Consumers Trust Online Reviews As Much As Personal Recommendations. Retrieved from Search Engine Land: http://searchengineland.com/88-consumers-trust-online-reviews-much-personal-recommendations-195803
Kellogg, K. (2013, December 19). SEO for Lawyers: 4 Tips to Get New Clients through Your Website. Retrieved from Bruce Clay, Inc.: http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/seo-for-lawyers/
Total Attorneys. (2014). SEO for Lawyers: Important Tips and Strategies. Retrieved from Total Attorneys: http://www.totalattorneys.com/resources/attorneys/marketing/seo-for-lawyers-important-tips-and-strategies/